August 2, 2019 - Economic Activation Green Light: Council trustee of Dunk Island Spit
After a long process involving State and Federal Government processes, Council are now trustee of Dunk Island Spit Reserve.
The State Government directed process has taken 18 months to resolve and now gives land tenure certainty to Council for the Dunk Island Spit Reserve. This in turn allows Council to provide a long term lease to an operator for commercial, recreational and tourism activities on Dunk Island Spit.
Mayor John Kremastos said, “the tender process for a Dunk Island Spit operator is underway and we are confident we will be able to deliver something very positive for the community and tourism.”
“The finalisation of the Reserve by the State Government removes any land tenure difficulties and is a big step forward in providing for Council’s vision of the spit as a place for both the locals and tourists to enjoy the spectacular natural asset.”
“Dunk Island Spit will add to economic activation already underway by an impressive list of achievements:
- Art Deco Weekend 9-11 August
- Red Bull Defiance 30 August to 1 September
- $800,000 allocated in the 2019/20 budget for the Clump Point safe boating facility
- Cassowary Coast Region Tourism Strategy delivered
- $500,000 allocated in the 2019/20 budget for works associated with the Mission Beach Master Plan
- Master Plan delivered for Innisfail – including Canecutter Court street re-direction and Edith St undercover walkway completed.
- $150,000 for the revitalisation of the Cardwell Bus Terminal, including disability access - to commence late 2019
- $7M Tully Grandstand
- White Water Rafting World Championships in Tully in May.
Council has spent over $120,000 last financial year in preparation and maintenance of Dunk Island for the tourism season, including sand replenishment and jetty repairs. This maintenance work is ongoing by Council until the successful tender is awarded.
Tenders for the Dunk Island Spit were recalled on Friday 5th July following Experience Co. advised Council on Friday 28th June it would not be taking up the Dunk Island spit lease.
Tenders for the Dunk Island Spit lease can be made through the Queensland Local Government e-tender website at www.lgtenderbox.com.au Tenders close on August 16, 2019.