December 2, 2019 - Council EBA finalised
Cassowary Coast Regional Council has approved that processes necessary for the certification of its new EBA be finalised, after a majority of employees (79%) voted in favour of the EBA.
The EBA sets out the pay and conditions of employment for Council staff.
As part of its approval Council also authorised that the first two pay increases under the agreement be paid prior to Christmas 2019 and before the EBA’s certification by the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission (QIRC) which is expected to occur in early 2020.
The new EBA includes:
- a $1,700 p.a. increase to base rates of pay from 3 December 2018, a 1% pay increase back paid to 3 December 2018;
- 2.5% pay increases on 3 December 2019; 3 December 2020 and 3 December 2021;
- Additional set of safety boots;
- Provision of Council uniforms;
- Paid Maternity and Paternity/Partner Leave;
- Increased flexibility in working arrangements; and
- Provisions to improve leave management.
The process involved 19 months of negotiation with 6 Trade Unions, with each and every Trade Union, needing to agree to let employees vote on the EBA – before it could be given to employees to vote on.
A Council spokesperson said “it was pleased to have received the support of the Unions in allowing the proposed agreement to proceed to a ballot of employees and that it was very pleased with the high level of employee support for the proposed agreement.”