June 12, 2020 - GO LOCAL GROW LOCAL: COUNCIL KICKS OFF LOCAL RECOVERY BY AWARDING $39,200 IN COMMUNITY GRANTS
Residents of the Cassowary Coast are invited to share ways in which they are supporting the community by signing up to ‘Go Local Grow Local: Cassowary Coast in this together’, a virtual event to be hosted on Council’s Facebook page.
The virtual event will run from tomorrow (Saturday 13 June) to Friday 26 June and is aimed at supporting Cassowary Coast businesses and community organisations to recover from COVID-19.
Mayor of Cassowary Coast Regional Council, Mark Nolan has set the challenge for every member of the community to do their bit to grow local by shopping at local businesses wherever possible, joining a local sporting or recreation club or volunteering to support one of the many valuable organisations across the region.
‘The event will essentially act like an informal online directory and is an opportunity for the community to share and showcase their stories about buying local,’ he said.
To coincide with the launch of the event, Council has awarded funding to fifteen organisations as part of round two of its Annual Community Assistance Grant Scheme.
Council’s Community Assistance Grant Scheme is designed to provide ‘one off’ grants capped at $3,000 to assist community organisations and individuals.
‘These groups deliver projects that benefit the region in areas such as the environment, social and economic wellbeing, cultural activities, sport and recreation,’ Cr Nolan said.
Funding is based on the premise of a contribution with the total value of approved projects in this round being $192,200.00.
All residents of the Cassowary Coast are encouraged to attend ‘Go Local Grow Local: Cassowary Coast in this Together’ virtual event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2610317369209403/
Quotes attributed to Cassowary Coast Regional Council Mayor Mark Nolan:
“I’d like to congratulate all the local organisations who were successful in receiving these funds and commend them for standing up in such a difficult time to help provide much needed economic and social returns to our community.
“These projects have come at a critical time when we’re focused on the recovery of our local economy, where every dollar counts and every community member is vital for playing their part – whether that be through volunteering with a local non-profit or simply signing up to a local club or spending local.
“I challenge every resident of the Cassowary Coast to pledge your commitment to ‘Buy Local Grow Local’ and share your stories with us on our virtual event.”
Media contact 0417 721 754 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Assistance Grant Scheme - FUNDED PROJECTS
- Boogan Stars Junior Football Club Inc Castor Park Club house repaint $3,000
- Cardwell Golf Club Inc Cardwell Golf Club drainage upgrade $2,860
- Tully Horse Performance Centre Inc All-purpose permanent equestrian arena fence $3,000
- Cassowary Coast Paws and Claws Inc Volunteer toilet block shade sail $1,498
- Mission Beach Wildcare Incorporated Public awareness marine life promotion and signage $3,000
- El Arish Community Sport and Recreation Association Incorporated El Arish Cenotaph park improvements for 100 year cenenary $3,000
- Cardwell Chamber of Commerce Inc Cardwell Business & Tourism expo $3,000
- Johnstone River Community Gardens Directional signage $429
- Kirrama Range Road Support Group Inc Sullivan’s Track – Stage 3 $2,054
- Mission Beach Community Arts Centre Minor maintenance – veranda upgrade to gallery/ shop $2,359
- Far North Freefall Skydiving Club Far North Freefall special cay Boogie 2020 – 5 day event/ competition $3,000
- Silkwood Clay Target Club Inc Clubhouse kitchen upgrade $3,000
- Innisfail District Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Tourism Inc Town ‘open’ celebration event $3,000
- Innisfail Ballet and Dance Society Inc 37th Dance Competition $3,000
- Innisfail Mini Rail Inc Clubhouse refurbishment $3,000