Nominate Before it's too Late!
Now is the time to nominate as a batonbearer for the Cassowary Coast section of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queens Baton Relay.
The deadline is 15 May for 'local legends' of all ages who have made a significant contribution to sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or the community.
Cassowary Coast Mayor John Kremastos said nominations were open to 10-year-olds and above, each person would carry the baton for about 200m and batonbearers could travel at their own pace in an event designed for people of all abilities.
The Cassowary Coast region has been chosen as a celebration community and the eyes of the Commonwealth will be on this region from Saturday 17 March to Sunday 18 March as the baton journeys towards its final destination, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) Opening Ceremony on 4 April 2018.
Across Australia approximately 3,800 batonbearers are needed to share the dream of the ‘friendly Games’ as part of the Queen's Baton Relay.
The baton began its global journey at Buckingham Palace on Commonwealth Day, Monday 13 March. It will travel through every Commonwealth nation and territory on its way to Australia.
Setting off in Australia on 25 December 2017, the baton will travel for 100 days to connect with as many people as possible in every state and territory.
GC2018 are looking for batonbearers who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are Australian citizens or are lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
To nominate as a batonbearer or to find out more visit https://www.gc2018.com/qbr
Posted 7 April 2018