Tour de Cassowary a classic hit
Cassowary Coasters were treated to a show of classic cars at the weekend as part of the inaugural Tour De Cassowary.
More than 30 classic cars toured the scenic routes of the Cassowary Coast while partaking in different competitions along the way including a time trial.
Lawrie Williams, local resident and a former mechanic of Sir Jack Brabham, a famous Australian racing driver who was Formula One World Champion in 1959, 1960, and 1966, kicked off the event in Innisfail.
“Drivers, start your engines!” Mr Williams said outside the Innisfail Shire Hall on Sunday morning.
Cassowary Coast Councillor Ben Heath flagged each of the drivers off at the start line.
“The town was abuzz on Sunday morning with classic cars lining the blocked off Rankin Street which is surrounded by our magnificent art deco buildings,” said Cr heath.
“Mother Nature really turned it on - we couldn’t have asked for better weather!”
The Tour de Cassowary started in Innisfail before touring to Kurrimine Beach, Mission Beach, Silkwood, Mena Creek and back to Innisfail.
Far North Queensland Restorers Club member Allan Blair said it was great to see the community get involved.
“There were a lot of people wanting to get their picture taken with some of the classic cars,” said Mr Blair.
“It was really great to see people from all over the Far North enter into this event and see what a beautiful region we have all while mingling with likeminded people and of course, showing off to the community some magnificent cars.”
The cars returned to Innisfail’s Anzac Park for a trophy presentation in the afternoon.
The Tour de Cassowary is expected to expand next year.
Tour De Cassowary Results
- Shannons Insurance Car of the Tour - Darryl and Carroll Louis (1954 FJ Holden Ute)
- Best Period Dress - Castaways Prize - The Oliveri Family (1980 Valiant Regal 265 Hemi)
- Best British Car - Oliveri’s Deli Prize – Raoul and Janine Cook (1977 Triumph Stag V8)
- Best American Car - Coastal Farm and Motorcycles Prize - Murray and Marge Nix (1966 Ford Mustang)
- Best European Car - Repco Prize - The Birchley Family (1967 Peugeot 404)
- Best Australian Car - Paronella Park Prize - Joe and Simon Cristaudo (1973 HQ Holden Kingwood)
- Most Interesting Vehicle - Blair Family Prize - Harvey and Kay Williams (Supercharged 1951 MGTD)