Cassowary Coast Regional Council

Building Building

Development permits are required for all building work in the Cassowary Coast Regional Council area as we are located within a cyclonic region.

New buildings, alterations and additions, swimming pools, sheds (including DIY garden sheds), carports, patios and pergolas, as well as the removal and demolition of buildings, all require development permits.

Before you start the construction phase, you or your builder should lodge a building application with Council's Building Services team or a Private Certifier to obtain the relevant development permit. It's a good idea to check with your builder to ensure this has taken place.

Lodging a Building Application

To lodge a development application for building work, you may need to submit the following documentation depending on the nature of the work:

  • DA Form 2
  • A site plan showing the proposed structure in relation to all boundaries and any other structures that may be located on the lot
  • Building plans that have been engineered and stamped
  • You will need a Form 15 Compliance Certificate for Building Design or Specification which must be completed by a competent person in relation to the design of the proposed building work. (This is usually completed by the engineer.)
  • Report on Energy Efficiency Design which includes a Form 15
  • Soil classification report
  • Sustainable building provisions details
  • QBCC insurance and QLeave (if applicable)
  • Owner Builder permit (if applicable)

A handy checklist outlining all of the above can be found at this link: Documentation Required Checklist.

Fees and Charges

The Development Appliation for building work and applicable application fee, can be lodged with Council either by post or over the counter at a Council office. Council's postal address and the location of Council's offices can be found on the Contact Council page of this website.
Use this link to view Council's Fees and Charges 2019/2020

Development Permits

Once a Development Application for Building Work has been lodged with Council it will be given a Development Application (DA) number. When the application is considered properly made, the assessment of the application can commence and it is carried out in accordance with the Development Assessment Rules.

The currency period for the development approval (building works) is two years, starting the day the approval is granted or takes effect (or six months for re-roof, demolition and swimming pool applications).

If, after this time you are yet to complete the building work, either the owner or applicant may request an extension to the currency period, provided such a request is made before the development approval lapses. If you wish to request an extension to the currency period for your Development Application for Building Work please complete the Request for Extension to the Currency Period Form and submit to Council along with the applicable fee. Your request will be passed on to management and a decision made in due course.

Prior to your permit lapsing, a Form 57 (reminder notice for the lapsing of an approval) will be issued. If you receive a Form 57 and the works have been completed, please contact Council's Building Services team to arrange for a final inspection to be carried out before the lapsing date.

Please note, a garbage service will be established on the property upon the issue of a Final Inspection Certificate for plumbing and drainage work associated with a residential use.  Wheelie bins will automatically be ordered and delivered to site.

Building Inspections

Council has engaged a licenced building surveyor, Stephen Toolen, to provide a building certification service on behalf of the Council. Mr Toolen works out of both the Innisfail Shire Hall Office and the Tully Civic Centre.

Innisfail Shire Hall days (northern inspections): Mondays, Wednesdays & some Thursdays

Tully Civic Centre days (southern inspections): Tuesdays, Fridays & some Thursdays

Mr Toolen is available for office appointments between 8:30am and 12pm. Required inspections will be outlined on your building decision notice and it is important to ensure that the required inspections are conducted. It is requested that 48 hours notice is given prior to scheduling inspections & office appointments.

Owner Builders

If you wish to carry out residential building work on your land valued at more than $11,000 you will need to obtain an owner builder permit. For information, please use the following link:

Asbestos Awareness

If you are thinking about renovating, you must be aware of asbestos. It is important for home owners and renovators to be aware of how to safely manage asbestos in and around the home. Asbestos could be in any home built or renovated before 1987.

If you suspect you have asbestos in your home, don't cut it, don't drill it, don't drop it, don't sand it, don't saw it, don't scrape it, don't dismantle it, don't tip it, don't waterblast it, don't demolish it and whatever you do don't dump it!

For more information before commencing any work and for examples of products that might contain asbestos and to learn where they might be located in your home, visit  

Building Record Searches

Building Record Searches for commercial and residential properties are available.  The search is provided in the form of a letter, comprising a list of building approvals issued for the property.  The search will advise the date of approval for the building work and the associated inspection details.  In non sewered areas it will advise if there is a treatment plant on site that requires regular servicing.  The searches also include copies of Certificate's of Classifications (for commercial properties) or Final Inspection Certificates (for residential properties) where applicable.  However please note, some searches may be unsuccessful.

To request a Building Records Search, please complete the Building Search Request Form and lodge it along with the applicable fees. Council has a five business day turnaround for Building Record Searches.

Click here to download the Building Search Request Form.

Certificate of Classification Searches

For commercial buildings, shop fitouts, offices, etc, a copy of the Certificate of Classification, where one has been issued on a structure, will be provided. Consideration should be given to the age of the building that the request is for. Council's records generally date back to 1975 with the introduction of the Building Act. If the building work is prior to 1975, a Certificate of Classification may not be available. The number of Certificates can only be determined after the initial application fee has been paid.

To request a Certificate of Classification Search, please complete the Building Search Request Form and lodge it along with the applicable fees.  Council has a five business day turnaround for Certificate of Classification Searches.  Click here to download the Building Search Request Form.

Certificate of Occupancy or Final Inspection Certificate Searches

This search provides Final Inspection Certificates or Certificates of Occupancy that have been issued as a result of a passed final inspection.

To request a Certificate of Occupancy/Final Inspection Certificate Search, please complete the Building Search Request Form and lodge it along with the applicable fees.  Council has a five business day turnaround for Certificate of Occupancy/Final Inspection Certificate Searches.  Click here to download the Building Search Request Form.

Living in Sheds or Changing a Shed into a Dwelling

People often enquire about living in sheds or a temporary home as it is regularly seen as a cost-effective & money-saving option or a way to occupy land while planning or building a dwelling.

The below information is designed to help answer frequently-asked questions:

Stormwater Disposal in Residential Areas

Residents often enquire about stormwater on their property, legal points of discharge, and responsibilities for stormwater discharge. The below information sheet is designed to help answer frequently-asked questions:

Fences and retaining walls

Boundary and dividing fences:

If you are planning to construct a fence that is over two metres high you must obtain a Development Permit prior to commencing work. Fences under two metres in height do not require Council approval. Fences can usually be constructed out of any material the home owner wishes to use, however it must be consistent with the zoning of the land (eg. barbwire fences must not be constructed in residential areas).

The Neighbourhood Dispute Resolutions Act 2011 contains new laws on fences. It relates to constructing & repairing fences that divide adjoining land. It also contains information about obtaining a contribution from your neighbour:

Neighbourhood Dispute Resolutions Act 2011

The below link also contains information about avoiding fence, tree & building disputes with your neighbours:

Avoiding Fence, Tree & Building Disputes

For pool fences, see the Pool Safety section: Pool Safety

Forms & Factsheets & Useful Links



For further information please call Council's Building Services team:

Innisfail Ph: 07 4030 2242 or email

Tully Ph: 07 4043 9150 or email