Assessment of Developments
The Planning Act 2016 (Qld) (PA) provides the legislative framework for planning and development assessment in Queensland. PA provides for the Development Assessment Rules (the DA Rules), which is one of the instruments that set out process and procedural requirements of the planning system.
The development assessment process in the DA Rules involves the following parts:
- Part 1 - Application
- Part 2 - Referral
- Part 3 - Information request
- Part 4 - Public notification
- Part 5 - Decision
It should be noted that not all applications will need to proceed through all five DA stages.
The following activities may require approval in accordance with the DA process:
- A material change of use such as establishing a new business or activity on a site, re-establishing a use which has been abandoned or intensifying a use.
- Reconfiguring a lot including a standard subdivision, a boundary realignment, an amalgamation of lots or the creation of an easement giving access to a lot from a constructed road.
- Carrying out operational works including filling and excavation, installing an advertising device, clearing vegetation and certain works in watercourses or tidal waters.
- Carrying out building work: See Building.
- Carrying out plumbing or drainage work: See Plumbing and Drainage.
Please check the planning scheme to see whether the development you wish to undertake is assessable and therefore requires approval from Council. It should be noted that some development may not be assessable in accordance with a planning scheme, but may still require approval in accordance with PA, for example clearing vegetation.
If development approval is required from Council, you need to lodge the relevant application forms with Council. A copy of the relevant DA forms is available here or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org phoning Council on 1300 763 903 or (07) 4030 2241.
The completed DA forms, mandatory supporting information and the applicable application fee must be lodged with Council either by post, over the counter or via email. Council's postal address, email address and the location of Council's offices can be found on the Contact Council page. To prepare an application online, please go to MyDAS2.
For further information please contact Planning Services on 1300 763 903 or 07 4030 2265. You can also email your application or planning query to email@example.com
FNQROC Development Manual Amendment 1 of 2017 Adoption
Planning Act 2016
Planning Regulation 2017
Far North Queensland Regional Plan 2031
FNQROC Development Manual
Department of Transport & Main Roads
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning