Your emergency kit should be stored in your house and ready for any event.
It should include:
- Battery-operated radio
- Torch & spare batteries
- Candles, lighter & waterproof matches
- First-aid kit and manual
- Combination pocket knife
- Portable (gas) stove with fuel
- Cooking gear
- Water in sealed containers (10 litres per person)
- Medication including additional supplies
- Toiletry & sanitary supplies
- Change of clothes & strong shoes
- Non-perishable food (cans) - enough for 3 - 4 days plus can opener & utensils
- Special needs items for young children, the aged & people with disabilities
- Pet food, water & other animal needs
- Tent or tarpualin & blankets
- Other camping equipment
- Cash money (ATMs may not be available after an event)
- Personal documents (insurance certificates, photographs etc.)
- Strong plastic bags (for clothing & valuables)
- List of emergency phone numbers
Store these items in one or two sturdy, easily-transportable bags or boxes.
Click here to download an Emergency Kit Checklist.