An exemption from a development application can be granted, under section 46 of the Planning Act 2016, in the following 3 circumstances:
- the effects of the development would be minor or inconsequential considering the circumstances under which the development was categorised as assessable development;
- the development was categorised as an assessable development only because of particular circumstances that no longer apply; or
- the development was categorised as assessable development because of an error.
To obtain an exemption you need to make an application to Council. There is currently no fee for this assessment. There is likely to be a 10 business day timeframe for processing exemption requests.
To lodge an exemption:
- Submit an Application for Exemption Certificate Form
- Submit plans of sufficient detail, scale and quality to support the application
- Hard copy applications can be submitted at any of the Council service centres
- For electronic lodgements, please email to email@example.com
Exemption certificates, if approved, will be available for inspection on the Cassowary Coast Regional Council website.
View the Fact Sheet on Exemption Certificates for more information:
It should be noted that an exemption certificate does not remove the applicant's obligation to comply with other statutory or local government requirements for this land (e.g. building approval, concurrence agency referral, sitings).