COVID-19 has impacted a range of services that Council delivers to the community and as result Council has initiated several measures in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) to assist the community and staff to ensure business continuity.
If a ratepayer is eligible under this policy, they will have access to a Financial Hardship Agreement which will prevent interest from being charged on all outstanding debt until such time this policy is revoked by Council.
a) the property is the owner’s principal place of residence, and the applicant must not own other investment property or properties either within or outside the Cassowary Coast region;
b) the property is the owner’s principal place of business, and the applicant owns one other property within the region that is their principal place of residence;
c) payments of rates by the ratepayer would cause financial hardship within the next twelve (12) months;
d) the ratepayer does not have reasonable assets external to the property thus this application for relief on the grounds of hardship applies.
- Eligible ratepayers complete and lodge a 'COVID-19 - Application for Financial Hardship' form and provide all relevant supporting documentation.
- Eligibility and criteria assessed on application under policy framework
- Ratepayer will be contacted if insufficient supporting documentation provided
- Determination made on whether the application is successful or not
- The ratepayer will be notified of the outcome of the assessment
- Confirmation letter and payment schedule will be sent to the ratepayer confirming the details of the Financial Hardship Arrangement
- If further financial hardship is experienced by the ratepayer, Council must be contacted as soon as possible.
A COVID-19 Rates Financial Hardship Policy has been endorsed by Council, aimed at providing relief to ratepayers who are experiencing financial hardship and are unable to pay rates and charges due to the economic impact of the pandemic.
The Rates Financial Hardship Policy is intended to provide a mechanism which enables ratepayers to approach Council about outstanding rates and utility charges.
In addition, under the Rates Recovery Policy, Council has provided ratepayers the opportunity to enter into Formal Arrangements, General Arrangements and Short Term Arrangements depending on circumstances.