The Cassowary Coast region is one of Australia's most significant agricultural production and lifestyle destinations, encompassing over 4,700 square kilometres of beach, waterways, national parks, state forests and bushland as well as coastal village centres and towns.
The Cassowary Coast has an estimated population of 31,000.
Situated in Tropical Far North Queensland, the region sits between the cities and associated regions of Cairns and Townsville. The Cassowary Coast region has a strong entrepreneurial spirit with approximately 94% of the registered businesses classified as small.
The region is open for business and encourages the establishment of new businesses, particularly those that have environmental, economic and social sustainability as core principles. Council is especially interested in attracting industries and businesses that are looking at investing in clean technologies and other new emerging industries that support climate change adaptability, as well as those that require abundant supplies of water and other natural assets.
The region provides immediate opportunities in the following areas:
- Eco-resorts, motels, hotels and other resort developments
- Marine, air and land-based tourist operations
- Indigenous tourist operations including food, arts and crafts development
- Alternate energy production (bio-energy, hydro, etc)
- Value addition to existing crops – sugar, bananas and other tropical crops
- Plantations for tropical fruits and vegetables
- Commercial and pleasure-based marine infrastructure, facilities and support services
- Commercial and pleasure-based aviation infrastructure, facilities and support services
- Research, development and innovation facilities focusing on tropical expertise and natural environment
- Education and training facilities
- Lifestyle aged-care facilities
- Retail outlets
Quick facts on investment in the Cassowary Coast region:
- Untapped growth potential
- Competitive business operational costs
- Close proximity to major roads, air, port and rail networks
- Approximately one hour drive south of Cairns and two hours north of Townsville
- Part of the broader region providing services to PNG and other neighboring island states
- Well-established energy and telecommunications facilities
- Existing infrastructure and available land
- Willing local workforce
- Close proximity to a major university and access to local education facilities
- Long-established primary industry and tourism sectors
- Vast natural environmental resources
- Unrivalled lifestyle benefits
- Access to affordable housing
For more information about investing in the Cassowary Coast, contact Council's Economic Development section:
Freecall: 1300 763 903
T: +61 7 4043 8812
F: +61 7 4061 4258
M: +61 (0)407 339 404
For more information about investing in Queensland, visit the Invest Queensland website.
For more information about investing in Australia, visit the Australian Trade Commission website.
Council's Development Incentive Scheme
A development incentive scheme has been introduced for the Cassowary Coast region, offering a 50 per cent reduction in infrastructure charges for certain developments. The scheme applies to developments approved from 13 December 2016 and completed by 14 December 2018. It largely promotes commercial, industrial and tourism development in different parts of the region but also promotes some infill residential development. The scheme has been introduced to help stimulate investment in the Cassowary Coast region. It is part of a broader investment incentives strategy being developed by Council.
Click here to access Council's information sheet on Development Incentives
Request Form for Reduction in Infrastructure Charges (word version)
Request Form for Reduction in Infrastructure Charges (pdf version)