The Cassowary Coast region is one of Australia's most significant agricultural production and lifestyle destinations, encompassing over 4,700 square kilometres of beach, waterways, national parks, state forests and bushland as well as coastal village centres and towns.
The Cassowary Coast has an estimated population of 31,000.
Situated in Tropical Far North Queensland, the region sits between the cities and associated regions of Cairns and Townsville. The Cassowary Coast region has a strong entrepreneurial spirit with approximately 94% of the registered businesses classified as small.
The region is open for business and encourages the establishment of new businesses, particularly those that have environmental, economic and social sustainability as core principles. Council is especially interested in attracting industries and businesses that are looking at investing in clean technologies and other new emerging industries that support climate change adaptability, as well as those that require abundant supplies of water and other natural assets.
The region provides immediate opportunities in the following areas:
- Eco-resorts, motels, hotels and other resort developments
- Marine, air and land-based tourist operations
- Indigenous tourist operations including food, arts and crafts development
- Alternate energy production (bio-energy, hydro, etc)
- Value addition to existing crops – sugar, bananas and other tropical crops
- Plantations for tropical fruits and vegetables
- Commercial and pleasure-based marine infrastructure, facilities and support services
- Commercial and pleasure-based aviation infrastructure, facilities and support services
- Research, development and innovation facilities focusing on tropical expertise and natural environment
- Education and training facilities
- Lifestyle aged-care facilities
- Retail outlets
Quick facts on investment in the Cassowary Coast region:
- Untapped growth potential
- Competitive business operational costs
- Close proximity to major roads, air, port and rail networks
- Approximately one hour drive south of Cairns and two hours north of Townsville
- Part of the broader region providing services to PNG and other neighboring island states
- Well-established energy and telecommunications facilities
- Existing infrastructure and available land
- Willing local workforce
- Close proximity to a major university and access to local education facilities
- Long-established primary industry and tourism sectors
- Vast natural environmental resources
- Unrivalled lifestyle benefits
- Access to affordable housing
For more information about investing in the Cassowary Coast, contact Council's Economic Development section:
Freecall: 1300 763 903
T: +61 7 4043 8837
For more information about investing in Queensland, visit the Invest Queensland website.
For more information about investing in Australia, visit the Australian Trade Commission website.
Activate Cassowary Coast - Development Incentive Scheme
The economic activation of the region is an essential element of the core business of Cassowary Coast Regional Council. In particular, Cassowary Coast Regional Council is committed to promoting and encouraging new forms of employment generating business and tourism activity to the region.
In order to promote and encourage such forms of development, Council has developed four development incentive policies to attract and provide support to projects and businesses that will deliver the greatest economic benefits to the Cassowary Coast and its residents in the long term.
The incentives range from tangible financial and non-financial support through subsided infrastructure charges, general rate exemptions and development application fees discounts for the construction of certain types of new development and grants for shopfront improvements to existing commercial buildings throughout the whole of the Cassowary Coast region.
The policies have been developed to ensure that local businesses and licenced tradespeople who specialise in construction, facade and shopfront refurbishment will gain work and the economic benefits generated by the development incentive schemes will stay in the Cassowary Coast region.
For more information on the Activate Cassowary Coast - Development Incentive Scheme please click here.