Cassowary Coast Regional Council was formed on 15 March 2008 with the amalgamation of Cardwell and Johnstone shires.
The Cassowary Coast region has:
- an area of 4,702 square km
- a population that sits at about 30,000
- a mix of town, rural and coastal communities
Council is led by a mayor and six councillors. The last election was in March 2016. For more information see the Councillors page.
To retain our unique tropical lifestyle while valuing our exceptional natural environment and creating a balanced, sustainable economy.
By building the foundations of a new regional council and providing integrity and strong leadership combined with excellence in service to our customers, we aim to become a council in which the community has confidence.
Council believes in strong leadership. This is achieved by:
- Working as a team
- Being responsible, proactive and positive
- Valuing our integrity
- Being accountable for our decisions
- Valuing the people of our communities
- Respecting others' points of view