Cassowary Coast Regional Council is committed to providing opportunities to junior athletes by providing a suite of Sports Bursaries to promote, encourage and sustain sporting participation and healthy life styles in the Cassowary Coast:
A Great Place to Be.
YOUTH SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS RECOGNISED
Cassowary Coast Regional Council has announced the recipients of its first annual Community Sports Bursary Program.
The program is designed to support young people in recognising significant sporting achievements and consists of six bursaries targeting athletes aged eight to 18, with two bursaries specifically ear marked to showcase first nation’s sporting achievements.
Recipients included athletes from a vast selection of sports including; Netball, Softball, Athletics, Surf Lifesaving, Swimming, Triathlon, Rugby, Touch Football and more.
Councillor Trudy Tschui said the volume and quality of nominations received exceeded expectations and many demonstrated participation, commitment and achievement in more than one sport.
“We received nominations from young people all across the Cassowary Coast with impressive sporting achievements on local, regional, state, national and even international levels.
“It’s exciting to see some of our regions next sporting hopefuls, the potential in this group of young people is staggering.
“I for one am incredibly proud that our region gives youth access to such a variety of sporting options and that Council can contribute to creating and sustaining opportunities for junior athletes.” Cr Tschui said.
The 2020 Cassowary Coast Regional Council Community Sports Bursary Program recipients are:
- Junior Sports Female – Layla Jenkins, 11 - for significant achievement in Athletics, Track and Field, Cross Country and Touch Football including regional and state representations.
- Junior Sports Male – Kai Wescott, 12 – for significant achievement in Swimming, Cross Country, Surf Lifesaving and Triathlon including regional and state representations.
- Senior Sports Female – Sasha-May Flegler, 14 – for significant achievement in Touch Football, Athletics, Cross Country, Swimming, Softball and Tennis including regional and state representations.
- Senior Sports Male – Luke Magnanini, 14 – for significant achievement in Touch Football, Rugby League, Triathlon, Surf Lifesaving and Judo including regional, state and national representations.
- Junior Indigenous Sports Person – Christopher Ivey, 11 – for significant achievement in Cross Country including regional and state representations.
- Senior Indigenous Sports Person – Quinton Smith, 17 – for significant achievement in Cross Country, Athletics and Boxing including regional, state, national and international representations.
Senior Indigenous Sports Person bursary recipient Quinton Smith, 17 said he plans to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games and also become the first Indigenous World Pro Champion Muay Thai Fighter.
Smith already has a slew of championship titles including two time WMO World Champion and four time Australian Muay Thai Champion.
“I put my heart and soul into this sport, I dream big and I know if I work hard my dreams will become a reality.
“I enjoy passing on my knowledge and mentoring the students that I teach and I strive to be a positive role model through my achievements.” said Smith.
Recipients were congratulated by Queensland Governor, His Excellency the Honourable Paul De Jersey AC who presented certificates at a special ceremony held at Innisfail Shire Hall.
Six bursaries packages of $750 and branded polo shirt each will be made available annually consisting of
1. Junior Sports Female (Age 8-12) - $750 and branded polo shirt packages.
2. Junior Sports Male (Age 8-12) - $750 and branded polo shirt packages.
3. Senior Sports Female (Age 13-18) - $750 and branded polo shirt packages.
4. Senior Sports Male (Age 13-18) - $750 and branded polo shirt packages.
5. Junior Indigenous Sports Person (Age 8-12) - $750 and branded polo shirt packages.
6. Senior Indigenous Sports Person (Age 13-18) - $750 and branded polo shirt packages.
Conditions of Application (Applicants must meet all of the following criteria)
- Nominations must be made on the approved form
- Be attending primary, high school or undertaking their studies in the Cassowary Coast region
- Must be an Australian citizen and a permanent resident of the Cassowary Coast Regional Council area
- Must not be a professional athlete
- Supporting evidence of sporting achievements to date must be attached to the nomination form ie official team listing from recognised sporting governing body, invitation letter from sanctioning body)
- Nominees cannot be nominated for the same category in which they have already won an award
- Image to be provided as part of application (winners to be promoted in Council media release)
- The Application must be signed and fully completed including supporting documentation
- All successful applicants must provide appropriate acknowledgement of Council sponsorship support in any media ie social media, paper, radio, public engagement.
- All Sports Bursary applicants subject to these terms and conditions
Criteria for Assessment
- Has the applicant demonstrated a consistency of commitment to their sport.
- What impact/level did their achievements have over the last 2 years?
- What is their overall contribution to sport and community?
- Does the applicant receive sponsorship that already significantly supports their activities?
How nominations will be judged
The judging panel will consist of Mayor, one divisional Councillor and three independent persons in the community. They will make their decisions based on the criteria for each award and the information provided within the nominations forms. The panel's decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding their decision.
Post Copy: Chief Executive Officer or
Cassowary Coast Regional Council
PO Box 887,
INNISFAIL Qld 4860
Ph: 1300 763 903
Email to: email@example.com
Hand Deliver: Chief Executive Officer or Chief Executive Officer
Cassowary Coast Regional Council Cassowary Coast Regional Council
70 Rankin Street Civic Centre,
INNISFAIL Qld 4860 38-40 Bryant Street,
Ph: 1300 763 903 TULLY Q 4854