The Cassowary Coast is progressively being recognised as one of Australia's newest premier holiday destinations. With recent showings in domestic travel and leisure programs, the region's tourism industry is poised for further growth. Tourism currently contributes approximately $100 million per annum to the regional economy and has significant room to grow.
The region is home to several world-class accommodation facilities such as Castaways Resort & Spa, the Elandra and Bedarra Island Resort. The region also acts as nature's playground with a good spread of national parks and campsites. In addition, it is home to premier tourist attractions such Paronella Park and Hinchinbrook Island.
The Cassowary Coast is also known to be an adventure region with white-water rafting, skydiving, sea kayaking and diving on the Great Barrier Reef among its tourism ventures.
The region hosts a number of popular events throughout the year. Themes are diverse as the following examples show:
- Feast of the Senses (showcasing primary industries and their produce as well as home-grown talent, including a market day extravaganza, gala dining events etc.)
- Feast of the Three Saints (a religious and cultural festival that transforms the small sugar cane town of Silkwood)
- Tully Gumboot Festival (a celebration of the Tully region's high rainfall, includes gumboot-tossing etc.)
- On a Mission Multi-Sport Adventure Race (an adventure race that takes in Mission Beach and Dunk Island and includes paddling, running and mountain biking)
- Cardwell UFO Festival (an out-of-this-world event that is grabbing the attention of world)
- Mission Beach Aquatic Festival (A family-friendly festival that celebrates the sea, beach and rainforest)