Places for Waste & Recycling
Transfer stations are places for waste which cannot be placed in normal weekly kerbside collections. While everyone is encouraged to reuse and recycle resources as much as possible, there are some items that still need to go to a disposal facility for their proper management.
Transfer stations also provide the residential community with a location to recycle:
- Items which are no longer needed but are still usable by others (clothing, unbroken furniture and household goods, unbroken toys and sporting equipment);
- Items which should not be placed in the kerbside bin as they are able to be recycled, such as:
- clean plastic beverage containers
- paper and cardboard
- metal and metal products
- wet cell batteries
- used motor oil
- Material which can be processed into a usable form such as greenwaste which can be mulched (trees, shrubs, untreated timber without metal; and clean concrete which can be processed into gravel for road base). Please note greenwaste is not accepted at Murray Upper Transfer Station.
Community Composting Program:
Receive a $20 rebate if you buy a compost bin or worm farm after 12 October 2015.
Cassowary Coast Regional Council has 7 waste transfer stations
- Stoters Hill (Innisfail): This facility includes a weighbridge, transfer station and active landfill. It receives domestic, commercial and limited regulated waste.
- Tully: This facility includes a weighbridge, transfer station and active landfill. It receives domestic, commercial and limited regulated waste.
- Cardwell: Domestic and limited commercial use.
- Murray Upper: Domestic and minimal commercial use.
- Hull Heads: Domestic and minimal commercial use.
- Wongaling/South Mission Beach: Domestic and limited commercial use.
- Bells Creek (El Arish): Domestic and minimal commercial use.
All sites are designed and maintained to ensure they do not cause environmental harm (complying with Department of Environment and Heritage Protection licence conditions and Workplace Health and Safety requirements).
|Cardwell Waste Transfer Station |
(ph: 0438 617 452)
|Lawson Drive, Cardwell (map)|
Murray Upper Waste Transfer Station
|Middle Murray Road, Murray Upper (map)|
|Hull Heads Waste Transfer Station |
(ph: 0438 617 451)
|Tully-Hull Road, Hull Heads (map)|
|Wongaling Beach/South Mission Beach |
(ph: 0498 486 851)
|Wheatley Road, Wongaling Beach (map)|
|Bell's Creek Waste Transfer Station |
(ph: 0417 198 087)
|off the Bruce Highway between Silkwood and El Arish (map)|
|Tully Waste Transfer Station (ph: 4068 3910)|
|374 Tully Gorge Road, Tully (map)|
|Stoters Hill (Innisfail) Waste Transfer Station |
(ph: 4061 7393)
|Quarry Drive, off Palmerston Highway (map)|
The hours for public holidays are the same as for Sundays, except for Good Friday and Christmas Day when the facilities are closed.
For information on what you can take to transfer stations and dispose of free-of-charge, and what you will need to pay to dispose of, click on this link.