The Cassowary Coast is known for its many picturesque beaches.
Beaches that are ideal for walking and other recreational activities can be found at:
- Mission Beach: Kilometres and kilometres of hard-packed sand on level beaches make this an ideal place for beach walking and running. Check out North Mission Beach, Wongaling Beach and South Mission Beach for longer walks or run, and for shorter strolls try Bingil Bay Beach, Garners Beach and Brooks Beach. The beaches are also widely used for swimming (in stinger season you need to use the swimming enclosures at North Mission and South Mission), paddling (all sorts including outrigging from the club's base at South Mission), fishing, picnics and more.
- Tully Heads-Hull Heads: A great spot for walking and fishing. You can walk from the Hull River to the Tully River.
- Kurrimine Beach and Cowley Beach: More hard-packed sand beaches that are ideal for walking and running. Kurrimine has a stinger net enclosure for swimming in the summer months.
- Etty Bay: A beautiful, shorter beach for walks and runs. This is also the home of the Etty Bay Surf Lifesaving Club so expect to see lots of water-based activity, including inside the stinger net swimming enclosure in the summer months.
- Flying Fish Point-Coconuts-Ella Bay: The closest beaches to Innisfail, there is outrigging from the club's base at the Coconuts and plenty of spots for fishing.
- Cardwell: Enjoy beach walking that is a skip and a jump from the town's main shopping and restaurant strip, with views of nearby Hinchinbrook Island. Another good spot for fishing.
Foreshore walks are also popular (please see the Walking Trails section).
To keep our beaches and foreshores in good condition please use the pedestrian access points to the beaches to minimise damage to our fragile beach dune environment.