The Cassowary Coast Regional Council Economic Development Reference Group was established in late 2010 by the economic development officer (EDO) to improve communication between Council and the local business community. The group has no executive powers over operations of Council.
The group includes representatives from local chambers of commerce, business networks, indigenous groups, industry groups and major service providers, as well as Council officers from the economic development, tourism and planning sections. Membership is by invitation only.
- The ongoing role of the group is to act as a source of information and to provide assistance to the EDO in identifying economic development projects of regional significance.
- The group does not replace or replicate established management responsibilities and delegations within the Cassowary Coast Regional Council or the reporting lines and responsibilities.
- The group will provide prompt and constructive advice and information directly to the EDO.
- The economic development section's involvement with tourism will relate to investment for infrastructure. All other matters pertaining to tourism will be dealt with by Council's tourism coordinator.
- The group is not a forum for discussing political issues or agendas.
A combination of three sub-groups combines to form the overall group. The sub-groups are:
- Jobs, Training, Events & Business Support Programs
- Investment Attraction
- Infrastructure & Planning
The group will ensure that it promotes the development of an eco-economy as its core principle. Rather than working against ecological principles, an eco-economy reinforces them and is founded upon them. In an eco-economy, sustainable practices will be common and profitable.
The group will ensure that its actions in encouraging economic development do not compromise or place at risk lifestyle attributes and community assets (including but not limited to historic and natural assets) for which Council has stewardship.
The group will support innovation, research and development initiatives.
The group will encourage the retention of local expenditure.
The group will focus its resources and energies on activities where there are likely to be positive measurable outcomes and long-term strategic economic benefits for the region as a whole.
The group will work to support and promote the development of both existing and fledgling strategic industry sectors within the region.
The group will work together with other regional stakeholders in the pursuit of economic prosperity and the development of regional employment opportunities.
The group will consider participation in economic development initiatives that have defined outcomes; that will benefit the resident and business community of the Cassowary Coast region; and that have the support and involvement of the private sector and state and federal government departments or agencies while avoiding a duplication of services and activities.
Meeting Schedule and Location
Meetings are currently held on the second Wednesday of each month. Meetings are held on a rotating basis in Innisfail, Mission Beach, Tully and Cardwell (in this order).
For Further Details:
Economic Development Reference Group
PO Box 887
T: +61 7 4043 9127