Fancy a spot of camping or caravanning by the water's edge? Council owns and runs a number of caravan parks/camping grounds in scenic locations throughout the region:
- Kurrimine Beach (On the beachfront)
- Mission Beach (On the beachfront at North Mission)
- Bingil Bay (On the beachfront at the northern end of Bingil Bay Beach, which is north of North Mission)
- Hull Heads (On river frontage a stone's throw from the beach off Luff St)
- Garden Island (Off Cardwell near Hinchinbrook Island. Transport can be arranged through Absolute North Charters & Hinchinbrook Island Ferries.)
Campers and caravanners are welcome to stay for up to four weeks in each of these camping areas except Hull Heads, where the maximum stay time is four nights. Dogs are welcome, as long as they are tethered at all times (except on Garden Island where no dogs are allowed). Please register on arrival. There are no forward bookings except for Garden Island which must be booked before arrival.
Council also owns a series of caravan parks/camping grounds that are privately leased and operated:
- River Drive (in the heart of Innisfail, with Johnstone River frontage) - phone 07 4061 2515
- Flying Fish Point (opposite the beachfront and backing onto rainforest, about 10 minute's drive east of Innisfail) - phone 07 4061 3131
- Etty Bay (on the beachfront south of Innisfail, backing onto rainforest) - phone 07 4063 2314
- Cowley Beach (at the beachfront) - phone 07 4065 4806
- Kurrimine Beach Holiday Park (southern end) - phone 1300 725 525
- Greenway (in the heart of Tully) - phone 07 4068 2055
Living in a caravan park/camping ground which has not been approved/registered is not permitted, unless a permit has been granted by Council. Those camping outside designated camping grounds can be reported to Council. A Council officer will investigate the complaint and may issue a notice. Should people continue to breach the notice, a fine may be issued.