Mining and petroleum activities are ERAs.
ERAs (excluding mining and petroleum activities) are required to have a development approval AND a registration certificate. (The development approval is not required in cases where a code of environmental compliance exists for the particular ERA or certain aspects of the ERA.) All operators of ERAs (other than mining or petroleum activities) - known as Chapter 4 activities - must be registered operators.
A registration certificate is required for all of the ERAs on the list provided below. The application fee is the annual licence fee stated in the current schedule of charges for each activity. This occurs once a year (annual return), for existing ERAs, around July.
Council licenses the following Environmentally Relevant Activities:
- Poultry farming (farming more than 1000 birds)
- Asphalt manufacturing
- Chemical storage (storing 10m3 or more of chemicals of class 3 (PGI, PGII, PGIII flammable liquids or C1 or C2 combustible liquids)
- Plastic product manufacturing (50t or more of plastic product)
- Abrasive blasting
- Boiler making or engineering (producing 200t or more)
- Metal forming (forming more than 10000t or more in a year)
- Metal recovery
- Motor vehicle workshop (does not include maintaining a fleet of <10 vehicles, or a mobile or temporary workshop activity)
- Printing (200t or more a year)
- Surface coating
- Concrete batching (producing 200t or more of concrete or concrete products in a year by mixing with sand, rock, aggregate or other similar materials)
- Wooden and laminated product manufacturing
- Boat maintenance or repair
- Waste incineration or thermal treatment
If you are starting a new business, you should contact the following Council departments:
- Building and Planning, phone 07 4030 2222
- Council’s trade waste officer, phone 0447 794 153
- Environmental Services 07 4030 2264
Applications must be made by submitting the application form below and must be submitted with the prescribed fee and required supportive documentation.
Application forms below will be required for ERAs needing development approval without town planning consent.
ERA businesses must submit a surrender of an environmental authorty application form to the Council within 10 business days of closing a business.
For more information on ERAs visit