Cardwell Visitor & Heritage Centre - located at the historic Bush Telegraph
Historic post office & telegraph station, old shire hall, courthouse & lock-up
53 Victoria Street, Cardwell (on the corner of Balliol Stret)
Ph/Fax: (07) 4066 2412
Monday – Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm, or other times by appointment
Sunday 10.00am to 1.00pm
Free admission (Donations welcome)
Group/school visits encouraged
Packages can be sent out for potential group visits
Tours – guided or self-guided
Parking is available in Balliol Street.
About the Bush Telegraph
The old Cardwell Telegraph and Post Office (now known as the Bush Telegraph) was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest buildings in North Queensland. It has been entered on the Queensland Heritage Register, the Register of the National Trust and the Register of the National Estate of the Australian Heritage Commission.
The telegraph office building harks back to Cardwell's earliest days, having survived both cyclones and termites. It has also played a role in the 20th century as a focus for the town. The old post office, former courthouse, lock-up and old shire hall tell the story of Cardwell and its place in communications which were vital to the development of North Queensland. The old hall was severely damaged by Cyclone Yasi in February 2011, but was rebuilt in 2012 to reproduce its former aspects.
The buildings were officially opened as a heritage centre in 2003.
Exhibits give an insight into the workings of a telegraph station, the development of communications such as telegraph, road and rail, and the role of local government, police and judicial systems in early North Queensland.
Friendly and knowledgeable staff can guide visitors through the museum and relay local stories and interesting facts. The museum is also set up for self-guided tours and provides visitor information.
Interactive Displays & Activities
Visitors can send a morse code message or ‘race to the top of Australia' in the Journey Room. They can see old weather instruments and get a feel for the early judicial system in the courthouse and lock-up. School groups will find the museum's activities sheet fun and educational. The museum also provides object-based, themed kits for organised group visits.
J.C. Hubinger Museum
he J.C. Hubinger Museum, a heritage-listed building, dates from 1892 and was originally the Cardwell Shire Hall and centre of Shire administration. A heritage-listed building, for around 80 years it was the principal venue for most of the formal and social history that is now recalled in the exhibitions maintained by the Cardwell & District Historical Society under an honorary lease arrangement, in conjunction with the Regional Council.
The Bush Telegraph and J. C. Hubinger Museum, together with the adjacent old Court House and gaol, form Cardwell’s heritage precinct on one contained which is also the Visitor Information Centre
Outdoor Museum Display Shed
Across Balliol St from the Old Post Office is a large museum building where local historical articles and memorabilia are on permanent display. Larger items include a springcart, a dray and horse-drawn implements. There are also many smaller tools and gadgets such as cross-cut saws, carbide lamps, a milk separator and spraying gear. A volunteer is on hand most mornings to talk to visitors if they want more information about display items. At other times the collection can be viewed from outside the mesh gates.
The recently refurbished old School of Arts building, dating back to 1923, is beside the museum display building. This is the home of the Hinchinbrook Regional Arts Gallery and boasts a diverse collection, with exhibits available for purchase.
The Cardwell Bush Telegraph is on the corner of the Bruce Highway (53 Victoria Street) and Balliol Street in the heart of Cardwell, making it an easy place to find. Cardwell's transit centre and railway station are a few hundred metres away.
Parking is available in Balliol Street, with ample room for coaches.
Cardwell was settled in 1864, as the first port settlement north of Bowen.
The telegraph facilities were provided because the Queensland Government hoped that a connecting cable linking Australia by telegraph to Asia and Europe would be secured for the Gulf of Carpentaria from Java. However, the cable was landed at Darwin not the Gulf so the main purpose of the Cardwell Telegraph Office and telegraph lines changed.
The Cardwell Telegraph and Post Office was part of an administrative precinct which originally included a large court and customs house, pilot quarters, police barracks and lock-up, lands office and a police magistrate's residence. The divisional board hall was built next to the post office later, in 1892. Of this precinct, the intact Cardwell Telegraph Office remains.
The former divisional board hall has been restored to closely resemble the original. The original courthouse was demolished after a cyclone but its 1890s replacement and a more recent lock-up dating back to 1907 remain. The resulting historic precinct is a fine example of the workings and economics of colonial administration over a large and thinly-populated area, and the 19th century technology that coped with it.
The Cardwell Telegraph Office is also fascinating because of the depth of information preserved. Queensland State Archives and the Australian Archives outline original specifications, plans and changes over the years.
The building was a residence as well as a service outlet. The postmaster was also linesman-in-charge, responsible for maintenance of the telegraph line in his sector. Often it was his wife, as postmistress and telegraph operator, who ran the office while he was away checking the line.
The Cardwell-Normanton telegraph line was a lifeline for the isolated people of this region. It provided contact with the rest of the world and encouraged development of the area.
- In 1873 it was from the Cardwell Telegraph Office that authorities in the south were advised Mulligan and others had discovered the rich goldfield of the Palmer River. At that time Cardwell was the station through which news passed from the Gulf Country and the Gilbert goldfield on its way south.
- The annual salary paid to the Cardwell postmaster in 1866 was £12. This was before the Cardwell Telegraph Office was built. The first post office was in the Marine Hotel. The first postmaster was the acting police magistrate, who was also the acting sub-collector of customs, clerk of petty sessions, harbour master, shipping master, port master and district registrar.
- The telegraph line from Bowen to Cardwell was completed in 1869. It reached Cardwell on Christmas Eve. When the pole opposite the Royal Hotel was erected there were drinks all round and great celebrations.
- The Old Telegraph Office building appears to have been prefabricated in Brisbane and shipped north to be completed on its current site.
Other museums/historical society's in our region include: