The Cassowary Coast Regional Council was formed on March 15th, 2008 through the State Government local government reform process, and comprises of the former shires of Cardwell and Johnstone.
The Council has 6 elected divisional councillors and a popularly elected mayor. Council meets every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month.
The Cassowary Coast region has:-
- an area of 4,702 square km
- a population of 30,843 as at March 2008
- a mix of town, rural and coastal communities
Council will retain our unique tropical lifestyle whilst valuing our exceptional natural environment and create a balanced, sustainable economy.
Our Mission as a Council
By building the foundations of a new regional Council and providing integrity and strong leadership combined with excellence in service to our customers, we aim to become a Council in which the community has confidence.
Council believes in strong leadership. This is achieved by:-
- Working as a team
- Being responsible, proactive and positive
- Valuing our integrity
- Being accountable for our decisions
- Valuing the people of our communities
- Respecting other's point of view