Certain animals are restricted or prohibited in areas zoned other than rural.
In certain circumstances, approval may be given to residents to keep restricted animals or numbers of animals. An Application for a Permit to Keep Animals must be submitted to Council with the prescribed fees and supportive documentation.
In the former Johnstone Shire (Innisfail to North Mission Beach), permits are required to keep the following animals on land zoned other than rural:
• More than two dogs over six months old
• Horses, cattle, donkeys, goats, camels and deer
• More than 20 head of poultry
• More than two cats over six months old
In the former Cardwell Shire (Wongaling Beach to Cardwell), permits are required to keep the following animals in townships:
• Horses, donkeys, goats, sheep, deer, cattle, pigs or swine
• More than 25 head of poultry
• More than 40 aviary birds
• More than two dogs over three months old
• More than two cats
• Any dog declared in a dog-free zone
In the former Cardwell Shire, keeping more than five dogs over three months old is prohibited. An application for a permit must be made, by filling out and submitting the approved form with required supportive information.
Any complaints will be followed up by a health officer and actioned accordingly.