When a Cyclone Strikes
- Disconnect all electrical appliances. Listen to your battery radio for updates.
- Stay inside and shelter (well clear of windows) in the strongest part of the building, ie cellar, internal hallway or bathroom.
- Keep evacuation and emergency kits with you.
- If the building starts to break up, protect yourself with mattresses, rugs or blankets under a strong table or bench or hold onto a solid fixture, eg a water pipe.
- Beware the calm “eye”. If the wind drops, don’t assume the cyclone is over, violent winds will soon resume from another direction. Wait for the official “all clear”.
- If driving, stop (handbrake on and in gear) – but well away from the sea and clear of trees, power lines and streams. Stay in the vehicle.