Activities on Footpaths

Council's Environmental Services department licences commercial activities on council-controlled roads and footpaths including outdoor dining, goods on footpaths, signs and busking.

To carry out an activity on council-controlled footpaths, a permit application must be completed and submitted with a plan of the proposed area, outlining the location and equipment to be used.

Application for Outdoor Dining

Application to Carry Out Activity on a Road - Council Controlled Area - Busking, Soliciting, Touting

A current certificate of public liability insured to the value of at least $20,000,000 must also be submitted with the application, nominating Cassowary Coast Regional Council as an insured party.

All outdoor dining permit holders are responsible for the following:

  • Activities must be carried out in accordance with Council's Local Law No 4 (Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities and Roads) 2011.
  • The permit holder must maintain public liability insurance to the value of $20,000,000 with the Council nominated on the policy as an interested party.
  • The footpath area must be kept in a clean and tidy condition by the permit holder at all times to the satisfaction of Council's authorised officers.
  • The permit holder must not cause an unreasonable nuisance or obstruction to the public or other businesses.

Council's current Local Law for Roads does not allow the display or sale of goods on a footpath/road area unless permitted by a permit issued by Council.  Such goods range from shoes and clothing racks and fruit and vegetables to motor vehicles.  Under Council's Local Law such goods may be removed by Council at the owner's expense if the owner does not have the required permit.