Climate Action Certification
WHAT IS CLIMATE ACTION CERTIFICATION?
Climate Action Certification is designed for all sectors of the tourism industry including hotels, attractions, tours, transport, restaurants, travel agents, tourism commissions and industry bodies. The Climate Action Certification program is dedicated to reducing carbon emissions and assuring travellers that certified products are backed by a commitment to sustainable practices related to addressing climate change.
Climate Action Certification will provide businesses with:
- an understanding of climate change concepts and terminology
- awareness of credible offsetting activities that can be undertaken
- clear and practical ways of reducing their carbon footprint – reducing carbon emissions through design, equipment selection and changes in operational practices
- best practice examples relevant to the business sector and operating environment
- approaches to adaptation that will assist both the individual enterprise and the collective industry and community within its area of operation
In addition to emissions reduction strategies, the Climate Action Certification program places significant attention on adaptation responses – as these are perhaps the most vital to business planning, development and investment.
Many of the initiatives recommended in the certification program will provide cost savings to the business through efficiency gains. Others provide broader sustainability gains and contribute in a real way to better environmental and community outcomes.
The Climate Action program will be upgraded regularly as new technology and tools become available and as legislation changes. A third-party auditing process has been established to ensure the credibility of the program.
Climate Action Certification is divided into three levels:
CLIMATE ACTION BUSINESS
Businesses that have undertaken a set of adaptation and emissions reduction actions and are measuring and tracking their carbon footprint.
CLIMATE ACTION INNOVATOR
Businesses that have undertaken an advanced set of adaptation and emissions reduction strategies and are measuring and tracking their carbon footprint.
CLIMATE ACTION LEADER
Businesses that have incorporated strategic climate change responses across all relevant levels of business planning and operations. They are measuring and tracking their carbon footprint and have undertaken a comprehensive set of adaptation and emissions reduction strategies. Most Climate Action Leaders also offset their emissions and are working towards becoming carbon neutral.