Standing Stalls and Itinerant Vendors

Cassowary Coast Regional Council issues permits to vendors to operate on Council controlled land anywhere in the region. Council will assess if the proposed site is safe and suitable and is not located within 400 metres of an existing 'bricks and mortar' business selling the same product.

To apply for a standing stall or itinerant vendor's permit an application for a permit to carry out commercial activities on roads must be completed and submitted to Council's Local Laws section with the relevant fee.

A current certificate of public liability, insured to the value of at least $20,000,000 and nominating Cassowary Coast Regional Council as an insured party, must also be submitted.

If you are setting up on a state-controlled main road, you need to seek permission from the Queensland Department of Main Roads. For a list of state-controlled roads in our region, please visit our State Government Roads page.

All outdoor dining permit holders are responsible for the following:

  • Carrying out activities in accordance with Council's Local Law No 4 (Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities and Roads) 2011.
  • Maintaining public liability insurance to the value of $20,000,000 with the Council nominated on the policy as an interested party.
  • Keeping the area in a clean and tidy condition, to the satisfaction of Council's authorised officers.
  • Not causing an unreasonable nuisance or obstruction to the public or other businesses.