Cassowary Coast Regional Council

Pool Safety Pool Safety


Swimming Pools & Spas

Before purchasing a swimming pool or spa (including portable pools available at many shopping centres), please make sure you are aware of the pool fencing requirements and ask yourself the following questions:

  1. Can the pool be filled to a depth of greater than 30cm?
  2. Can the pool hold more than 2000 litres of water?
  3. Is there a filtration system?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, a development permit for building works for the construction of a swimming pool and fencing is required.  A Form 17 Final Inspection Certificate must be issued prior to filling the swimming pool.

Swimming pools should be fun, so please take a moment to read through the below information. Let's keep children safe!

Pool Safety Laws:

The Queensland Government has pool safety laws aimed at further reducing injuries and drownings.  These laws affect new and existing pools.  An overview is as follows:

What is a "regulated pool"?

A regulated pool is associated with:

  • houses
  • units and unit complexes
  • motels
  • hotels
  • hostels
  • backpacker accommodation and short term accommodations
  • caravan parks
  • mobile van parks

Pool Safety Register:

All pools and spas in Queensland need to be registered with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). If you fail to register your pool, QBCC can issue penalties which include an on-the-spot fine of $243.80 for individuals or $731.40 for companies.  The court can impose a maximum penalty of up to $2438.  Check whether your pool or spa is registered, or register a pool or spa, by visiting the QBCC website.

Pool Fences & Safety Barriers:

Maintenance of pool fences and safety barriers is essential to help reduce the number of children drowning or suffering immersion injuries in swimming pools.  Pool owners need to ensure their pool barriers are maintained and any damaged fencing or barriers are fixed immediately. All pools or spas that can be filled to a depth of 300mm or more must have a compliant pool fence or barrier. This includes inflatable pools.

Is your pool fence or safety barrier compliant? 

  • The fence or barrier must be 1.2m high.
  • It must contain a self-closing gate.
  • The gap at the bottom of the fence must be no greater than 100mm to the ground.
  • The area must be free of shrubs, pot plants, furniture (climbable objects) that will compromise the height of the fence.

For above ground pools:

  • The sides of the pool must be at least 1.2m high all the way around.
  • No bracing or indents on the sides of the pool which could be considered climbable.
  • Any ladders or filters must have a fence with a self-closing gate.

For further information, visit the QBCC website or the QDC (Swimming Pool Barriers) Website

CPR Signs & Warning Signs

New pool safety laws require the latest cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) sign to be displayed near your pool.  Ensure your pool complies with the latest CPR sign requirements.  CPR signs are available from your local pool store. New rules for CPR signage

Pool Safety Inspections & Certificates:

Pool safety certificates are required when selling or leasing a property with a pool. They must be obtained from a licensed pool safety inspector.  Council is registered to provide this service.  Further information for pool owners and pool safety inspectors can be found on the QBCC website.

Pool safety inspectors determine whether or not pools comply with the pool safety standards. Inspectors issue a pool safety certificate or a non-conformity notice. The notice will outline what needs to be done to make the pool compliant.

An Application for a Pool Safety Certificate must be completed and returned to Council with the applicable fee. 

Certificates are valid for one year for a shared pool and two years for a non-shared pool.

Pool inspections can be carried out on the following days. Please allow for 48 hours notice when scheduling inspections. Council requires payment of fees before the pool safety inspection is carried out.

Innisfail Shire Hall days (northern inspections): Mondays, Wednesdays & some Thursdays
Tully Civic Centre days (southern inspections): Tuesdays, Fridays & some Thursdays

Fees & Charges:


New Pools

A Development Application for Building Works and the application fee must be lodged with Council either by post or over the counter. For Council's postal address and the location of council offices see Contact Council.
Fees and Charges 2020/2021


Pool Compliance Inspections

An Application for a Pool Safety Certificate form must be completed and returned to Council with the applicable fee.  For Council's postal address and the location of council offices see Contact Council.

For further information please call Council's Building Services team:
Innisfail: Ph: 07 4030 2242 or email
Tully: Ph: 07 4043 9150 or email: