Cassowary Coast Regional Council adopted a new planning scheme on 3 July 2015. The Cassowary Coast Planning Scheme 2015 regulates land use and development across the region and delivers Council's local planning aspirations for the region. The scheme replaced the Johnstone Shire Planning Scheme 2005 and Cardwell Shire Planning Scheme 2007, providing a consistent planning regime for the whole council area.
On 22 June 2017 the Cassowary Coast Regional Council made the Alignment Amendments under the Alignment Amendment Rules and Section 293 of the Planning Act 2016 to the Cassowary Coast Regional Council Planning Scheme 2015. The Alignment Amendments commenced upon the commencement of the Planning Act 2016 on 3 July 2017. The Alignment Amendments have the purpose and general effect of bringing the Planning Scheme into alignment with the new concepts and terminology included in the Planning Act 2016.
Cassowary Coast Planning Scheme 2015 (Planning Act 2016)
Cassowary Coast Planning Scheme 2015 (Sustainable Planning Act 2009)
Planning Scheme Amendments
Proposed Amendment No.2 – 9.4.6 Parking and Access Code
Proposed Amendment No.2 to the Cassowary Coast Regional Council Planning Scheme 2015, Part 9.4.6 – Parking and Access Code – Table 18.104.22.168 – Number of Required Car Parking Spaces. This is a minor amendment and merits review.
The amendment is proposed in accordance with section 22 of the Planning Act 2016 (the Act) and the Minister’s Guidelines and Rules which sets out the minimum requirements for a local government when making or amending a local planning instrument.
Please refer to the public notice and supporting documents below for further information.
- AMENDMENT NO2 - 9.4.6 Parking and access code - Public Notice
- AMENDMENT NO2 - 9.4.6 Parking and access code - Explanatory Statement
- AMENDMENT NO2 - 9.4.6 Parking and access code - Formal Documentation
The proposed amendment is open for public consultation from 30 April 2018 to 29 May 2018, submissions are welcome during this time.
Planning Scheme Land Use Information Cards
- Agricultural Activities
- Caretaker's Accommodation
- Commercial Activities
- Community Activities
- Dual Occupancy
- Dwelling House
- Extractive Industry
- Home Based Business
- Industrial Activities
- Multiple Dwelling
- Recreational Activities
- Retirement and Residential Care Facilities
- Telecommunications and Electricity Facility
- Tourism Activities
Planning Scheme Zone Information Cards
- Business Fringe Precent - Located within the Township Zone
- Business Precinct/Central Business Precinct Zone
- Community Purpose Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Emerging Community Zone
- Environmental Management and Conservation Zone
- Industry Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Port Hinchinbrook Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Recreation Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Residential Choice Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Residential Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Rural Residential Zone
- Rural Zone
- Tourism Precinct - Located within the Township Zone
- Township Zone
Council has developed interactive online mapping to support the Cassowary Coast Planning Scheme. To see how a property is affected by the planning scheme, use this link:
Council has also developed interactive online flood level maps as a guide to help the general public in flood mitigation, awareness and planning: